Friday, November 14, 2008

Rahm Apologizes

I hadn't realized that Rahm Emanuel's father's "politically incorrect" remarks (see my previous posting on this) had gotten so much press. But apparently it was enough, that Emanuel felt compelled to issue a public apology to the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee.

According to Haaretz (see full story here):

"Today, Rep. Emanuel called Mary Rose Oakar, president of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, apologized on behalf of his family and offered to meet with representatives of the Arab-American community at an appropriate time in the future," a statement from his office said.

The committee, in a statement on its website, said Emanuel told Oakar it was unacceptable to make such remarks against any ethnic or religious group.

"From the fullness of my heart, I personally apologize on behalf of my family and me. These are not the values upon which I was raised or those of my family," the group quoted him as saying.

Oakar welcomed the apology, saying: "We cannot allow Arabs and Muslims to be portrayed in these unacceptable terms."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home